Let’s be clear. We’re not talking about grill mats that go under the grill to protect your deck or terrace tiles.
This post is devoted to the best grill mats that you place on top of your existing stainless steel or cast iron grill grates.
Grill Mats Are the New Black
This barbecue innovation is the latest craze among the grilling gurus. They are sleek, black and thin, and made of?heat-resistant PTFE.
After our little scientific detour, read on to?find out what grill mats can do for you and your barbecue.
That’s polytetrafluoroethylene. Quite a mouthful, right. We wouldn’t recommend you eat it though.
PTFE, for those of you who want to know, is a synthetic fluoropolymer of tetrafluoroethylene. It is a hydrophobic (non-wetting), high-density material and is resistant to high temperatures. High, here, means up to around 600 degrees Fahrenheit.
PTFE is a versatile material, probably best known for its?non-stick properties. Those of you in love with your non-stick frying pans and pots will be familiar with PTFE, even if you did not know its chemical name until now.
Another abbreviation you will come across is PFOA, also a chemical compound.? None of the grill mats featured here contain PFOA. The jury is still out on the possible toxic effects in humans of PFOA, according to this American Cancer Society article.
Good Ol’ Grill Grates
Despite the many excellent cast iron griddles on the market, many people are still have not upgraded. For one reason or another, they persist in using the rather outdated grill grate for the family barbecue.
We don’t know why; perhaps they like a BBQ to be a stressful experience, with sausages and tasty morsels slipping through the cracks, only to be charred in the fire beneath?
Different strokes for different folks, as they say. But those different folks might just like to turbo-charge their way into the 21st century and discover the wonders of non-stick grill mats.
Nothing could be easier. You place the grill mat on top of your grill grate, and your barbecue fare on top of the grill mat. The mats are generally thin enough to give your meat that nice striped appearance you get from a grill or griddle. The advantage is that your grate stays clean?? and you don’t lose any of your food in the process.
Keep Vegans Happy
I had a bunch of friends over for a barbecue a couple of weeks ago. Two of them were vegan. And why should they miss out on a convivial gathering around the fire just because they don’t eat meat?
It was an informal bring-and-share affair. so there was no shortage of salads and other tasty treats that even the strictest began would approve of. The difference was that this time, our vegan friends were delighted to enjoy the fireside chatter while cooking their vegan sausages and other vegetables on a separate grill mat on the grill grate.
There was no fear of contamination from the meat and chicken other people were cooking over a different area of the barbecue, and no fear of meat residue from previous uses of the grate. Isn’t that a neat solution to what has always been a slightly tricky dilemma? We kept everyone happy – and well-fed, just as it should be at a great barbecue.
The 5 Best Grill Mats
It s worth noting that all the products featured in this post share the same basic properties since they are all made from the same material, PTFE.
There are differences in their sizes and thickness. Prices vary, as do guarantees. For the most part, the products are very similar to one another, so we have followed the manufacturer’s lead as to what features to highlight here.
1. Grillaholics Grill Mat – Set of 2 Heavy Duty BBQ Grill Mats
The Grillaholics Grill Mat comes in a set of two. They are non-stick and reusable. Be sure to check out the mouthwatering demo video at this link under the Related Videos tab.
- The mats are thin enough to leave grill marks and flavor intact, yet thick enough to provide heat resistance and durability.
- Lifetime replacement guarantee
- Works with any kind of proprietary barbecue grill, whether charcoal, propane gas or electric.
- Measuring 15.5″ x 13″, these grill mats are big enough for your barbecue delights and small enough to load in your dishwasher afterward.
- Hand-washable too.
- Your friends might try to take both your grill mats home with them.
2. Kona Best BBQ Grill Mat
Priced identically to the Grillaholics Grill Mat above, this Kona Best BBQ grill mat set is the best seller on the market today.? At 0.39mm, the mats are thicker than most grill mats, and arguably, more durable because of it.
- Genius no-fall design.
- Heavy-duty and made to withstand heat up to 600-degree Fahrenheit and flare-ups.
- Guarantee for 1,000 uses per side, claimed to be as much as 50 times more than ordinary grill mats.
- The total of 2,000 uses translates into a no-hassle 7-yar guarantee that all Kona accessories carry.
- 25″ x 17″ – This XL version nice and big.
- Your friends or your relatives might try to take both your grill mats home with them.
3. Chef Remi Grill Mat
At 16″ x 13″, the Chef Remi grill mat is smaller than the first two sets of grill mats featured in this post.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Leaves perfect grill marks on your barbecue specials
- Works with charcoal, electric, and barrel grills, and any portable outdoor BBQ.
- Its smaller size means you can work more flexibly with the layout of your existing grill grate.
- You can keep enthusiastic junior barbecue experts happy with a smaller share of your grill grate territory: let them join in the barbecue fun!
- There are almost small enough for your friends to tuck away in their pockets after wiping them clean after the barbecue at your place.
4. Twisted Chef BBQ Grill Mats
To be honest, the name of this product ??Twisted Chef ?? appealed to us, so we included it in this post.
- Great for all sorts of vegetables, shrimps, fish, and cheeseburgers.; even caramelizes onions very well.
- Heat resistant up to 500 degrees Fahrenheit
- Dishwasher safe
- Set of 3
- Half the price of the other products featured so far in this post
- Carries a warning to keep the mat 5-7 inches away from direct heat to avoid damage.
- Your friend’s kids might take a liking to these mats, so watch the little critters!
5. Kitchen + Home – BBQ Grill Mats
Multipurpose Kitchen + Home BBQ Grill Mats?handle just about anything: meat, vegetables, fish, shrimp, pizza, kebabs, even pancakes, and bacon and eggs.
- Works with any kind of barbecue
- 15.75″ x 13″
- Keeps food succulent and juicy
- Reasonable prices.
- 100% non-stick.
- Top rack only in the dishwasher, so there is a danger of ruining them unless you spread the word.
- Your friends might not be so tempted to take these ones home.
Time To Bring Out the Non-Stick Tools
If you’re taken with the idea of trying out these grill mats for yourself, please remember that just like those non-sticky frying pans and pots. PTFE grills mats ? even the best ones ? need non-stick tools.
Your fancy stainless-steel and other sturdy metal lifters, tongs, and forks will ruin these handy grill mats is less time than it takes to fry an egg without cooking oil.
Treat even the best grill mats with the care you give your non-stick pans when it comes to cleaning and storing them, and you will get years of use out of them.
There is absolutely no contest.? Number 2, the?Kona Best BBQ Grill Mat – Heavy Duty 600 Degree Non-Stick Mats (Set of 2) with the 7-year warranty wins hands-down for us.
Kona has obviously lab-tested their product extensively to give such precise detail on how long their mats will last. So for us, these are the best grill mats, and the best grill mats for your buck.
I know we have made rude remarks about the possibility that your friends might be a bunch of thieves ? or, at the very least, jealous of your fancy new BBQ accessories.? Jokes aside though, these grill mats make the ideal gift for your barbecue-loving friends.? Even those friends who live far away, since they are light and easy to post.
Imagine receiving such an unusual gift in the snail-mail post! When you send your unusual gift in the post, make sure to ask your friends for pictures of them using the best grill mats on the market since sliced bread.
You know what they say: the proof is in the perfectly grilled piece of meat.
We hope you enjoy our other blog posts on the pleasures of?grilling in the great outdoors. We welcome your comments. Be sure to look for our other articles on grilling and barbecue accessories and other nice-to-have gadgets.